Elisabeth Leonskaja plays Schubert live

Your 'hot spot' for all classical music subjects. Non-classical music subjects are to be posted in the Corner Pub.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

Rach3

Elisabeth Leonskaja plays Schubert live

Post by Rach3 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:06 am

Two of my fav Schubert piano sonatas. I did not hear the " Wanderer" or encores.Dont care for " Wanderer" much , Schubert trying too much to be virtuosic.

Enregistré le 21/06/2022 au Angelika Kauffmann Hall, Schwarzenberg

Franz Schubert - Sonate No. 13 en La Majeur pour piano, D. 664
- Sonate No. 15 en Do Majeur pour piano, D. 840 ('Reliquie')
- Impromptu en Si bémol Majeur, D. 935, op. posth. 142/3
- Fantaisie en Do Majeur, D. 760 ('Wandererfantasie')
- Allegro assai en mi bémol mineur, No. 1, des ' Trois Pièces, D. 946' (bis)
- Impromptu en Sol bémol Majeur, D. 899/3 (bis)

Elisabeth Leonskaja, piano

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concer ... id=2943904

Lance
Site Administrator

Re: Elisabeth Leonskaja plays Schubert live

Post by Lance » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 am

Warner has issued a new set of Schubert's piano sonatas performed by Leonskaja - and I eagerly await its arrival.

Schubert's "Wanderer" is an incredible piece of music coming from a composer we do not expect at all to write like that. It has become a favourite piece for me. Perhaps you might better like the Liszt transcription for piano and orchestra. But I might add that the solo "Wanderer" is a work that will grow on you. Virtuosic it is. I used to "try" to play it or part of it. I gave up. Didn't Schubert write or say: "Let the devil play it!" Apparently, he couldn't play it either.
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 am

Lance wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 am
But I might add that the solo "Wanderer" is a work that will grow on you. Virtuosic it is. I used to "try" to play it or part of it. I gave up. Didn't Schubert write or say: "Let the devil play it!" Apparently, he couldn't play it either.
My recording of the " Wanderer " is by Richter on an EMI lp paired with Schubert's Piano Sonata D.664. The version for orchestra is not as appealing, for me, as the solo piano version.

barney

Post by barney » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:58 pm

I've half a dozen or more accounts of The Wanderer, and I love it. But agree with Steve that the solo piano version is greatly preferable.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:35 am

Interesting take on the "Wanderer" here.

When I was eleven years old, I heard Guiomar Novaes play it live in a recital series sponsored by a distant cousin of ours. Sitting in the front row of my first live musical experience, I was overwhelmed both by the work and her playing. My mother and I ran out to buy her recording, and I've loved the work ever since, so much so that it's now on my list of over-played works that I'm just too familiar with.

And yes, while the Liszt arrangement for piano & orchestra is an interesting curiosity, I also prefer the solo version.

Rach3

Post by Rach3 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:01 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 am
My recording of the " Wanderer " is by Richter on an EMI lp paired with Schubert's Piano Sonata D.664.
Speaking of D.664, here is Radu Lupu in 1991, about 40 minutes in ,nigh perfection :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001cgsv

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:55 pm

Lance wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 am
Warner has issued a new set of Schubert's piano sonatas performed by Leonskaja - and I eagerly await its arrival.

Schubert's "Wanderer" is an incredible piece of music coming from a composer we do not expect at all to write like that. It has become a favourite piece for me. Perhaps you might better like the Liszt transcription for piano and orchestra. But I might add that the solo "Wanderer" is a work that will grow on you. Virtuosic it is. I used to "try" to play it or part of it. I gave up. Didn't Schubert write or say: "Let the devil play it!" Apparently, he couldn't play it either.
Completely agree; this is an incredible piano work from Schubert. I have only Pollini's version on CD and it's a bit hard-driven, like so much of his playing. Fortunately there are others available online.

Belle

Post by Belle » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:58 pm

Rach3 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:01 pm
Rach3 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 am
My recording of the " Wanderer " is by Richter on an EMI lp paired with Schubert's Piano Sonata D.664.
Speaking of D.664, here is Radu Lupu in 1991, about 40 minutes in ,nigh perfection :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001cgsv
Radu Lupu; artist supreme!! Very much missed.

D664 is one of my absolute favourites, so full of Schubertian lyricism in every single bar. His harmonic structure is more interesting than some of those later sonatas (where I feel he was trying to emulate Beethoven!). The second and third movements; poetry!! Especially in the hands of the great Lupu.

I remember playing Schubert sonata D845 for 7th Grade (decades ago) - just the first movement - and it was wretched to negotiate, with its applied dissonance, pedal points, ostinatos, interesting and unpredictable modulations and new themes, runs, changes of mood and lyricism. Those opening chords in A minor are like a flower gradually unfurling and opening up. Magic. And the piece sounds quite pentatonic in the middle section: I never understood it as a piano student, but today it sounds quite symphonic to me.

This performance from Radu Lupu is the best I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ1_9ZMUOg0

Lance
Site Administrator

Post by Lance » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:28 am

You may find this YouTube explanation by Alfred Brendel interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke8NEmrAr4U
Lance G. Hill
Editor-in-Chief

When she started to play, Mr. Steinway came down and personally
rubbed his name off the piano. [Speaking about pianist &*$#@+#]

Belle

Post by Belle » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:51 am

Thanks so much for this; I dropped absolutely everything when I saw it. Have just listened to Brendel's analysis. (I went to a lecture of his in Vienna in 2011 for the Liszt bi-centenary and it was 'swiss cheese' trying to understand German!!) Firstly, I agree with Brendel's refutations about suggestions the natural world of Austria is being invoked in the first movement of D845. This polymath has written widely on Schubert and I have some of his books on my shelf. I consulted "On Music" and there were some comments about D845, referring to it as a 'great' piano sonata - possibly Schubert's first - but otherwise his comments were somewhat obscure and related back to other works by Schubert. Brendel is fond of the idea that orchestral instruments are to be found emulated in piano music but I've found this a rather arcane argument and thankfully he doesn't develop that with this particular sonata.

I thought Brendel's reading of the Moderato of D845 was too fast; it took away the dark grandeur and thematic complexity when he raced ahead in some passages. But it's great to hear him bring out all the harmonic elements of this music: so few pianists do that with these works. The second movement Andante is simply astounding; one of Schubert's greatest achievements. As I was listening (and I haven't for ages) I kept thinking of some of the delicately insightful prose of Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" (OK, only as good as the translation). But Tolstoy developed themes in his prose in a similar way to Schubert in his music. Each idea could be unravelled like an onion with layers and layers of subtle meaning. Well, this is what Schubert does in D845 for me.

The final movement Scherzo is charming and it makes definitive statements which nicely bookends the emphatic first movement and its drama.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:17 pm

Leonskaja's Schubert is absolutely first-rate in this concert. Her "Wanderer" is among the best I've heard!

Many thanks.