Melbourne's Lockdown to Ease Beginning on Friday

Discuss whatever you want here ... movies, books, recipes, politics, beer, wine, TV ... everything except classical music.

Moderators: Lance, Corlyss_D

maestrob

Melbourne's Lockdown to Ease Beginning on Friday

Post by maestrob » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 am

A two-week lockdown in Melbourne, Australia, will be eased beginning on Friday after outbreaks of the infectious Delta and Kappa coronavirus variants were contained, officials said. Schools and shops in Australia’s second-largest city will be allowed to reopen, and residents will be permitted to leave their homes for nonessential purposes. But people will still be barred from having visitors at home, and from traveling more than 25 kilometers, or about 16 miles, from where they live, as concerns linger over possible community spread of the virus. Officials reported just one new case on Wednesday, down from a peak earlier this month, when there were 94 active cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06/09 ... virus-mask

barney

Re: Melbourne's Lockdown to Ease Beginning on Friday

Post by barney » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:21 pm

maestrob wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:06 am
A two-week lockdown in Melbourne, Australia, will be eased beginning on Friday after outbreaks of the infectious Delta and Kappa coronavirus variants were contained, officials said. Schools and shops in Australia’s second-largest city will be allowed to reopen, and residents will be permitted to leave their homes for nonessential purposes. But people will still be barred from having visitors at home, and from traveling more than 25 kilometers, or about 16 miles, from where they live, as concerns linger over possible community spread of the virus. Officials reported just one new case on Wednesday, down from a peak earlier this month, when there were 94 active cases.

It's deeply galling. Melbourne has spent more than 170 days in lockdown since the pandemic began, the other states an average of six. Our chief health officer is fanatically conservative. And every time a crisis is over he tells us our systems in Victoria are spot-on, and every time there's a problem our systems collapse. The other states have faced the same issues Victoria has without imprisoning the entire population.

This time lockdown restrictions have cost me a Melbourne Symphony Orchestra concert which I was greatly anticipating, plus a visit from my Sydney-based sister and aunt, who is in her 80s with cancer and may not be able to travel for much longer, and our annual family reunion to commemorate the death 10 years ago of our youngest son. Plus a number of smaller engagements. These are minor issues compared with people who can't pay their rent or don't know where their next meal is coming from, or who are killing themselves from despair, but they are still real. In the first lockdown, I supported the Government, even though it lasted 112 days. Now I think it's a knee-jerk reaction born partly of incompetence and lack of imagination.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am

barney wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:21 pm
maestrob wrote:

It's deeply galling. Melbourne has spent more than 170 days in lockdown since the pandemic began, the other states an average of six. Our chief health officer is fanatically conservative. And every time a crisis is over he tells us our systems in Victoria are spot-on, and every time there's a problem our systems collapse. The other states have faced the same issues Victoria has without imprisoning the entire population.

This time lockdown restrictions have cost me a Melbourne Symphony Orchestra concert which I was greatly anticipating, plus a visit from my Sydney-based sister and aunt, who is in her 80s with cancer and may not be able to travel for much longer, and our annual family reunion to commemorate the death 10 years ago of our youngest son. Plus a number of smaller engagements. These are minor issues compared with people who can't pay their rent or don't know where their next meal is coming from, or who are killing themselves from despair, but they are still real. In the first lockdown, I supported the Government, even though it lasted 112 days. Now I think it's a knee-jerk reaction born partly of incompetence and lack of imagination.
170 days is an incredible amount of time for businesses to be inactive, Barney!

Please allow me to grieve posthumously for the death of your son. Not having any children, I can only imagine what that must be like for you. Our deepest condolences.

My understanding is that the procedures used to quarantine travelers in hotels there are woefully inadequate due to the hiring of under-qualified staff. Our governor took a different path, and we have suffered nearly 53,000 deaths here, with over 33,000 of them in New York City alone, an incalculable loss, especially to those families involved.

AFAIK, Australia has had less than 10 deaths in the entire country.

While I sympathize with the obvious distress at not being able to visit with your aunt, perhaps for the last time, this is still, while sad, a small price to pay given the circumstances.

I don't mean to remonstrate, just note the difference in our two societies. How much I admire the self-discipline and sense of community in your population compared to ours!

Holden Fourth

Post by Holden Fourth » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm

The major issue is that the Victorian government has not learnt from their mistakes, preferring to blame others instead. This seems to have cost their Premier his 'job' and so it should. However, his deputy seems to be equally as sanctimonious.

The unnecessary deaths of nearly 700 aged care residents in the state last year resulted from inept (I'd say corrupt) practices at a governmental level. This is nothing new in Australia as the Fitzgerald Inquiry in Qld in the late 1980s shows. Corruption at an electoral level was rife. “Dictator Dan’s” disappearance from public view on the eve of a public enquiry into the aged care Covid19 outbreak is probably no coincidence. Expect his resignation on 'health grounds' to come in the following months.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 pm

maestrob wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am
barney wrote:
maestrob wrote:

Please allow me to grieve posthumously for the death of your son. Not having any children, I can only imagine what that must be like for you. Our deepest condolences.

My understanding is that the procedures used to quarantine travelers in hotels there are woefully inadequate due to the hiring of under-qualified staff. Our governor took a different path, and we have suffered nearly 53,000 deaths here, with over 33,000 of them in New York City alone, an incalculable loss, especially to those families involved.

While I sympathize with the obvious distress at not being able to visit with your aunt, perhaps for the last time, this is still, while sad, a small price to pay given the circumstances.

I don't mean to remonstrate, just note the difference in our two societies. How much I admire the self-discipline and sense of community in your population compared to ours!
Thank you, Brian.
Less than 1000 deaths, rather than 10. Most came when COVID swept through Victorian aged care facilities in our outbreak last year. By far the majority of Australians are willing to behave with proper care for others, though we have our Republican equivalents who aggressively refuse and try to make a virtue out of selfishness. But the toll in other costs is growing, as Holden observes, from collapsing small businesses to suicides. I'm no longer convinced that what we are doing in Victoria is necessary, as all the other states are not doing it yet have no more cases.

barney

Post by barney » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:01 pm

Holden Fourth wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:40 pm
The major issue is that the Victorian government has not learnt from their mistakes, preferring to blame others instead. This seems to have cost their Premier his 'job' and so it should. However, his deputy seems to be equally as sanctimonious.

The unnecessary deaths of nearly 700 aged care residents in the state last year resulted from inept (I'd say corrupt) practices at a governmental level. This is nothing new in Australia as the Fitzgerald Inquiry in Qld in the late 1980s shows. Corruption at an electoral level was rife. “Dictator Dan’s” disappearance from public view on the eve of a public enquiry into the aged care Covid19 outbreak is probably no coincidence. Expect his resignation on 'health grounds' to come in the following months.
Wild rumours are swirling about Dictator Dan in Melbourne, with suggestions that he will not return as Premier. These rumours have nothing to do with the pandemic, though. They reached State Parliament this week when an Opposition MP asked whether police had been called when Dan got injured - a hint, no more.

maestrob

Post by maestrob » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 am

barney wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:59 pm
maestrob wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:21 am
barney wrote:
maestrob wrote:

Thank you, Brian.
Less than 1000 deaths, rather than 10. Most came when COVID swept through Victorian aged care facilities in our outbreak last year. By far the majority of Australians are willing to behave with proper care for others, though we have our Republican equivalents who aggressively refuse and try to make a virtue out of selfishness. But the toll in other costs is growing, as Holden observes, from collapsing small businesses to suicides. I'm no longer convinced that what we are doing in Victoria is necessary, as all the other states are not doing it yet have no more cases.
I beg your pardon! :oops:

Seems I misread the charts. Upon re-examination, I see that Victoria province has recorded 820 deaths to date, yet the others are barely reporting deaths in the single digits, Tasmania being the exception with 13 as of today. That's GOT to rankle residents in Melbourne, and I well understand your distress towards your leadership. I feel the same way about Governor Cuomo's underreporting of nursing home deaths here by crediting them to the hospitals where the patients spent their last days, rather than to the homes where the infections began.

Shameful, all of it!

barney

Post by barney » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 pm

Yes. I try to think of it simply as all of us trying to do our best, we are in uncharted waters, and mistakes get made. We have our share of reckless stupidity and aggressive denial (which I separate from people who are simply cautious about the vaccine), though it is a much smaller share than Republicans give the US, where denial is an organised movement.

The thing is, we are not going to eradicate COVID; it can flare up any time. To close down the entire state for a handful of cases and no hospitalisations, let a lone deaths, seems overreach. As the authorities keep saying, the only solution is to have a sizeable majority vaccinated.